Suppose that this moment has arrived, when you are standing in front of the public out of 10, or maybe 100 people, and are going to say the first word of your speech or report. For some, this is equivalent to standing on the scaffold, and for someone – minutes of triumph and pleasure. Whatever category you belong to, we recommend reading the article – this is an opportunity to learn something new, and for those who are afraid of just one phrase “public speaking”, it’s a lifeline.
To prepare for the performance you need to prepare carefully and with the scrupulousness of military intelligence. Therefore, we divide the process of writing and the actual proclamation into small stages.
Words or clothes?
Ask yourself the question: what did I think / think for the first time when I found out / learned about the need to proclaim it? If you discard the thoughts generated by fear, then in the first place you will think about what you wear. This is definitely correct. A speaker in a beach shirt or short shorts is unlikely to be taken seriously. But we are sure that readers themselves understand the basics of the dress code, so we will not stop here. But we remembered it for a reason.
Most people attach so much importance to their appearance that they don’t think about what they will say. But this is very important. The first 2-3 minutes form the first impression, which, by the way, cannot be made twice. First of all, think over your speech correctly, or rather, wisely. Your image can become a frame for a beautiful picture, or vice versa – the frame will be brighter for the drawing itself (the performance itself).
Plato or Bill Gates style?
If you like a certain style of putting information, consider whether it suits you. For example, you adore to watch the speeches of actors, comedians who joke, getting their awards. But not the fact that you can also cause laughter with jokes, because, as a rule, famous people already have established images and they will appear on the stage enough to bring a smile even when they say serious texts. The same thing in the team, for sure there is the soul of the company, which is enough to focus on the word, and laughter appears in the hall.
Think about your benefits. If you are witty, dilute it with jokes or funny remarks (to the extent allowed, only if you are not in a circus).
All the colleagues, and even the boss, come to you for help and advice, only you know how to fill out these forms correctly? Then you are the authority and the “brain” of the working composition. Surely in stock you have interesting facts and important conclusions. Bet on them! But the most important thing is to be yourself, and, observing the rules and protocol, to feel not among dozens of bosses and hundreds of “fellow judges”, but at home among friends. As if you are rehearsing and telling them.
And you are not so interesting to people …
Maybe we will disappoint you, but no one in the hall will consider you from head to toe, check every sentence for grammatical errors and even more so watch your voice tremble or count the number of nervous twitches with your fingers. People are too busy to see you under a microscope.
Remember yourself as a spectator at a conference or seminar. Did you listen strongly to the speaker’s speech, or, quite probably, were thoughts of the sea at that time? The same attitude will be to you. Of course, if you need to achieve a positive result and convince the public of something, you need to attract attention, but with your voice and gestures.
In general, an appraised glance will be thrown at you only in the first seconds, and then they will either forget about you or forget about you, but will switch attention to the information that you carry. Therefore, there is every reason to go on stage calm and relaxed.
Go to the attack
So we got to the most important part – direct contact with the audience. Tone, speed of pronunciation and intonation – you need to be friends and make friends with them. Such friends will never give up and will be useful both at official events and in everyday life (from now on you will also be called charismatic).
Ready for battle, sir!
- Maintain eye contact with the audience, only this does not mean that you need to stare at one person all the time, otherwise you will frighten the poor thing and make a strange impression yourself. Run through the entire hall. You can look over your heads, while occasionally changing the point at which you are looking.
- No expressive reading! How do you feel about politicians who, during a speech, have never for a second left their sheet, as if the telephone of the nearest spa is written there and they are trying to learn it by heart? Of course, take the text of the speech with you, but only to peek. Write theses of the speech, it will help you not to omit the main thing.
- You can walk around the stage, even move a little. Rehearse and tell your friends to rate your movements or film yourself from the side. Just do not need sharp steps, this is not a sports Olympiad. Slowly and smoothly, but confidently.
- Be sure to pause between sentences. Periodically purposely pull time to:
a) people “digested” the essence;
b) to cause intrigue – “what does he / she say next?”.
- “Pull in” people into talking to themselves. Ask both rhetorical and direct questions. Otherwise you will lose their interest in you. The viewer should be boring. Bread and circuses!
- Speak at an average pace, highlight the desired keywords with an accent. In long sentences, make a groove too.
- Do not delay your speech. Highlight the most important thing and convey it, otherwise you will become a tedious one, “when will he finish” an uncle or an aunt.
- Be yourself interested in the topic to convey your interest to the public.
Suitcase without handles
Your speech is not a one-way planetary cruiser – that is, into the hall. You should also receive information and information about how your words are perceived. Watch for gestures. Folded hands, appraisal gestures near the face, crossed legs may indicate that they do not agree with you. In this case, dwell on this part of the speech in more detail, give more convincing examples, explain the essence.
If you are relaxed, then you are able to assess the situation. If you are still afraid of assessments of the hall, you stare at your sheet or on the floor, stitch the text, at best with hesitations between pretexts and leave the stage, without knowing how the hall responded to you. That is why start with the psychological component. Only in a state of self-reliance can success be achieved.